Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hitting the Favorites- Non-Sports

It's so much easier to find cards for my favorite athletes. Type in their name, and hundreds of options are available. My favorite non-sports subjects? Not so much. In fact, this is the first time I've ever been able to get enough in one shipment to be able to make a post about them!

My love for squirrels is well known. But they are hard to find on cards! Or anything else for that matter. Most of the squirrel memorabilia you can find are related to red squirrels, which I couldn't identify with because we only ever had grays. Well, that is different, as we have had two reds visiting the yard recently, and so, I can happily add Red Squirrel cards to my collection now! (granted, it didn't stop me from doing so before, either, but I wasn't as happy about it)

 1939 Player's Animals of the Countryside
 1958 Brooke Bond British Wildlife
 1964 Hitchman's Dairies Animals of the World
 1982 Grandee British Mammals
1990 Brooke Bond A Journey Downstream
 1994 Brooke Bond Going Wild
2018 Wacky Packages Go to the Movies Sci-Fi Film Stickers

7 new squirrel cards! Can't beat that...in fact, it nearly doubles my collection because I had only 4 before getting this box! Except for the 1939 Player's set, all the others are brand new sets to my collection...and this is the first Wacky Packages card I've ever bought. As a general rule, I don't like them...but this one I did. Maybe someday I'll even pick up the parallels. Funny thing is, I have no idea when I'm going to post this, but I am writing it just days after visiting the American Museum of Natural History, and seeing lots of actual Jurassic remnants!

My other favorite topic, cars, was much harder to find. I do periodic searches for El Caminos (none new, I have all I know of already) and Edsels. I thought I had them all...but I didn't. I was quite surprised to find a new card of an Edsel for sale on COMC.
From 1962's B.T. Limited Modern Motor Cars, this card actually cost me more than any other that I got in this COMC order I think, at 4 dollars and change. There are two other back versions but the front image is exactly alike so I am not too inclined to buy the other two...not at that price. All three versions were being sold by the same seller.

One of the backs in in French and I think the two English versions may have been translated...certainly not written by anyone who knows anything about Edsels. Aside from referring to it as a Ford Edsel, which is so wrong- it'd be like calling a Cadillac a Chevrolet! Both made by General Motors but totally different- it also refers to the Ranger model as a "Rouger". And interestingly enough, the text refers to the car as if it's brand new, when in reality, the brand had been killed by the time this card was issued. And we know the card is properly dated because the set does include 1960s cars. Quite an oddity.

With this card, I now have 4 of the 7 known to me cards of the Edsel brand. While my completion percentage has gone down with the discovery of three new cards, I am in actuality very happy to be able to add another to my collection.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yeah...cool Edsel card too. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edsels are such odd vehicles. It's like FOrd tried to mash up a lot of the popular looks of the day into one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff! Can’t believe there is that many squirrel cards, crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuesday was apparently National Squirrel Appreciation Day, so this is timely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a happy coincidence actually. I wrote the post in December and had a plan on the order I wanted to post them...they happened to coincide!

      Delete
  5. I really like the Jurassic Squirrel card. And I had no ideas there were so many squirrel cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh out loud when I did the squirrel search on COMC and saw it!

      Delete
  6. One of my fondest memories of college was eating lunch with my friends on the benches... and the squirrels coming up and just hanging out with us hoping to get some crumbs. Those guys were fearless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. Most of the time they are really skittish around people.

      Delete
  7. Put a white stripe down the nose of that 1964 Hitchman's squirrel and he'd look like a beagle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am never going to be able to look at that card and think anything else now :)

      Delete