Saturday, January 11, 2020

Forgotten from previous posts & Changes (fix?) to Cardboard History

You guys think I'm organized, but I'm not. I am actually really scatterbrained and even sometimes kind of clueless. Case in point? I've published 4 posts in 2020, and I've forgotten to include things in three of them.

I'm making this post to cover them, though.

From my 2019 in Review:

For the first time ever in 2019, I tracked the trades I made throughout the year with a list on the Trading Card Database.

As it turns out, I made 43 trades and added 872 new cards and 1 video game to my collection via those trades. I don't know what my record for trading is, but I think it is pretty high on my all time list. I know I was really active on the long gone Trader Retreat, but to me, this feels like the most I did. I have no idea and no way to ever find out, but I decided to keep track of the trades I make in 2020 as well. So far, a week into the year and I've completed one and have 2 more in progress.

You can see the list here: 2019 Trades List. I selected one card from each trade to show.

Interestingly, but not all that surprisingly, most were with other Database members. I made one twitter trade, my first, but even that involved me screencapping my wantlist on the Database and sending that to him.

Also of note, the Database has a new website. you can now find it at tcdb.com. Getting a four letter web address is quite a challenge, they have been trying to get it since 2008 when it was created. The old address still works too, at least for now.

From my maybe I should have made harder goals:

By scanning all the cards I got for Christmas with the exception of the Topps Stickers, I actually hit the halfway mark in scanning my hockey collection, at least estimated. I'm in the 16000s for hockey, and I've now scanned about 8500 of them, so I'm going to say I'm at half way. Of course, that's very likely to change and it probably has already...since I made that post I got two huge PIFs which added a lot of hockey cards to my collection...maybe even put me over 17000. It's a moving target for sure, and it's much easier to add cards than scan them, but I'm going to mentally consider it halfway. With that said, there's still at least 8000 cards waiting for scans, and that's just hockey. I have literally every topic ahead of me yet to scan, from NBA to NASCAR to even baseball and wrestling. I have no idea what needs the most scanning, but even though I've done more than 70 thousand NBA scans, it's probably still needing the most anyway.

From the Christmas Cards Part 2 Where I actually show them:

Even thought the NHL is now the main focus of my collection, and will be going forward, my collection is still small enough, still in the early enough stages, that 1 single box can still greatly change my list of top sets in my collection. For example, I got 235 cards out of the Topps Stickers box, and it was enough to move into 11th place for NHL sets in my collection...and if there weren't so many duplicates, it actually would have cracked the top 10. 2015-16 Upper Deck has the 10th spot, with 237 cards in my collection. I got about 15 duplicates from the Sticker box, so not only would it have taken 10th, it would have tied with the 2018-19 MVP Factory Set for 9th had they all been new. Of course, when 2019-20 Upper Deck Series 2 comes out that will certainly jump past both of them, as I really love this year's set design and plan to get as much of it as I possibly can. I will post a screencap of the top sets at the conclusion of the NHL season, like I have done the past two years...that's still several months away so it's ranking could change by then. I'm glad the Database tracks this info because I would have no real way to track it or find out otherwise.

Although this is not left over from a previous post, I took my first great photo of 2019 on the 8th.
I took this from my front yard with my point and shoot Kodak. It's at 42x optical zoom, the camera's maximum optical capability. Although I did not modify the photo, I did crop out some of the sky surrounding it.

Now, going forward, let's hope I am not so forgetful. It's actually really kinda frustrating, but that's a topic for another time...

Something came up after I had this post written and done, so I will throw it in here too. I have been unable to check my own Cardboard History on my tablet since before Christmas. I had thought that it was just my tablet, which is giving me problems in other ways as well. Then, I got a message from one of the bloggers stating that he couldn't read it either. I remember seeing a comment on a post saying there was some difficulty in opening a post as well. I don't know what the deal was, but I ended up having to remove my background, AND the Labels list at the bottom of the page. That's particularly frustrating for me because I have been known to search them from time to time to find stuff. Not sure why Google would create a format for us and then stop supporting it, but that appears to be exactly what's happened here. I did have over 2000 labels, so I probably used more than they ever expected. I've been seeing ads for "try the new Blogger!" but I have not clicked on them...my impression is that once again, something that's "new and improved" is actually worse than before...just like 99% of everything that's "new and improved".

The labels are still on each post, and I can still search them internally from the post creation page for my own use, but it's frustrating. I played around with it and even having 8 labels showing was enough to lock it up. I couldn't get it to work unless I removed both elements, unfortunately. You may notice a few test comments on my previous post from where I was trying to do things with it.

I'm annoyed, I have to be honest. But I've been annoyed with not being able to read my own blog- or many of the other blogs- on my own tablet. That's where I read the vast majority of posts, so being locked out of it has been pretty annoying.

Ugh, to add insult to injury this post was scheduled to go off at 4:30 on Friday...but when I had to go in and add the part about fixing the issue, I forgot to reschedule it. I refreshed the page several times when I got up Friday night and it wasn't there...I realized what I had done. I'm really starting to get mad at myself now.

13 comments:

  1. The moon picture is incredible!
    Being tired, sore and in pain causes a person to make mistakes. Don't be so annoyed with yourself. Your blogs are ALWAYS fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be more fun if I did it right the first time. I noticed two huge mistakes in this post, too.

      Delete
  2. It is a great moon picture. By the way, I have a small car package heading your way for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed the moon picture as I stated on Twitter and really nailed the newer things are worse than originals. That is said for movies, electronics, the world in general (lol), etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's frustratingly true. It's especially bad when it comes to food I think.

      Delete
  4. Love the moon photo! And the change has definitely fixed my issue of reading your posts. I was having to read your post on Safari, the come back to Chrome and leave a comment. Today... I was able to scroll down on Chrome like the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your dedication. I would have given up long before that!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes sir. Supposedly named that because the wolves howled at it.

      Delete
  6. I'm also afraid to take the plunge into the "new" blogger. I like mine the way it works now. I'm sure they've just added a bunch of extra bells and whistles to tie it to other social medai platforms and other things that only high school students use...

    ReplyDelete